The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat/Off-Topic (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/chit-chat-off-topic/)
-   -   Ride of a lifetime (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/chit-chat-off-topic/7437-ride-lifetime.html)

Oregondunes 09-17-2012 03:49 PM

Ride of a lifetime

This past weekend is one that Im glad I will remember, and probably will never forget.

A buddy of mine recently picked up a 25' warlock cat. powered by a 650hp blown 502. this boat is fast for downtown Portland. he's still working out the bugs and trying to get every inch possible from it all. recently he did some lower unit and prop changes and can now top out at 97 mph. still seeking the elusive 100 mark.

I went for a ride, and what a ride it was. We made a quick pass along the seawall on the rev limiter giving the on lookers a quick thrill. Then during our turn the unforeseen happened. the boat lifted for just a split second, then caught the water again. Mind you were only going maybe 60 or 70 at this point, but it was enough to high side the boat and catapult me out of it sideways in a cartwheel motion.

Im not a small guy (250+) and Im sure we exceeded 2g's. So my now 500+ body collided with him (at 60+ mph) smashing against the outer sponson, breaking his collar bone in 3 places and cracking 4 ribs before I was ejected like a rag doll.

As I came to the surface I was looking the opposite direction of where I left. Turning around I found myself some 75-100 feet (maybe more) from the boat. I was fully dressed in shorts and a sweat shirt (been a while since I had swam in all my clothes). He sat there motionless so to speak talking to me and making sure I was ok. As a reached the boat he told me that he was NOT. we limped it back to the floating restaurant where I was tied with the rest of family enjoying their take out.

This was an unfortunate incident. At no time did I ever think we were out of control or that he was doing anything unsafe. I have been in several boats that exceed 100 mph so this was not new to me. Im just glad that neither of us were hurt worse. Alcohol was not a factor neither (he's clean and sober now for over 15 years) and an excellent high speed boat driver.

NOTE TO SELF. Wear a life jacket next time cause you never know when Sh*t is going to happen.

Im really glad to be here today to tell you all of this tale.

ColoradoDiablo 09-17-2012 04:19 PM

Re: Ride of a lifetime

Sorry to hear that Oregon.
I sure am glad you guys are safe and no one else was hurt. Strange things happen on the water , especially at speed.
I imagine your a little on the sore side. Hope you guys recover fast , and yes , I think after a experience like that I too would be wearing a vest in that type of boat.

Larry

Oregondunes 09-17-2012 04:28 PM

the fronts of my legs (not exactly sure why) are sore as if I had done like 100+ power squats and my right wrist. Just as we started the turn, I reached over and braced my hand against his seat. Got a pretty good bruise on the inside of my left thigh too.

mikeyt 09-17-2012 05:25 PM

Glad to hear you and your buddy are okay. Good lesson learned though about the life jackets.....

Dredd 09-17-2012 08:19 PM

Wow, wild story. Glad to hear you're a lot more OK than you could be.
Any idea what caused the issue? Too much tab, trimmed out too far, just packed too much air? There's been an eery number of cat incidents this season.

Oregondunes 09-17-2012 10:04 PM

We were air'd out just a bit to much. The boat spun just a smidge then caught hard.

Motoxxx43 11-12-2012 11:48 AM

Thats a crazy experience I dont want to have. My luck I would have been knocked unconscious prior to exiting the boat causing me to sink. Your ride reminded me of something I saw on Youtube a while back... Glad you are alive and well!

Boat Crash at Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri - YouTube

Zackattack 11-13-2012 12:31 AM

Wow, thats a wild ride, glad you are ok.

Oregondunes 11-13-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zackattack (Post 40157)
Wow, thats a wild ride, glad you are ok.

thanks. Im almost healed (wrist is still a lil sore at times) and my buddy's collar bone is all bolted back together.