The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat/Off-Topic (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/chit-chat-off-topic/)
-   -   Thinking about selling my boat (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/chit-chat-off-topic/4820-thinking-about-selling-my-boat.html)

LC addict 08-31-2010 02:54 AM

Thinking about selling my boat

I am considering selling my 04 Mariah 25SX, but when trying to come up with the value of the boat I am a little confused, of course I think its worth more than NADA says it is, but seems like boats in general have taken a serious nosedive over the past couple years with today's economy. My questions are 1) How are boats selling now in relationship to NADA value and actual sale price and 2) where do I find the value for the trailer? (My trailer is aluminum double axle, new brakes, was originally used for a 27ft Nordic)

ShabahZ280 08-31-2010 05:22 PM

Re: Thinking about selling my boat

Yep, boats have taken a nosedive with the economy. Boats just aren't selling well these days. People aren't getting financed anywhere as easy as they used to, and this causes quite a bit of a damper on sales. Many boating companies have either gone out of business or filed bankruptcy due to the current economic situation. It reminds me of the early 2000's, when many businesses closed their doors (like Mariah Boats Inc) due to the slump in the industry.

Everyone's looking for a great deal on a boat, and don't get me wrong, they DO exist, but it's very rare, and one needs to have the money right there and then, or the financing set up ahead of time. Financial burdens set in, and owners are having to take a loss to get out from their boats. It's sad, but true. NADA values are only one example, there's the BUC, which is what brokerage dealers go by, but even still, the used values are much lower than they were in previous years.

As for the price of your trailer, I would add $1500-$2000 onto the NADA value, and that's a very high estimate... From the looks of things, we'll never get out even close to what we put in...

Sad times :shakehead:

LC addict 09-04-2010 03:43 AM

I've talked myself out of selling, I was thinking of upgrading to something bigger since I've seen some real baragains lately...but seeing how I'd have to sell mine so low it doesn't seem like such a good deal anymore! That is a womans prerogative to change our minds! :rolling_laugh:

al levy 09-07-2010 07:59 PM

the thing i have learned over the years is that if you go bigger and i mean not trailerable you must think about winter and summer mooring and or storage. also if you keep the boat at certain harbors will they let your mechanic in to work on it even if they are insured. you also feel compelled to use it as you are spending that kind of money for mooring.
the ideal situation is to get a boat that is trailerable even if it has a 10' beam. you can usually rent a storage area close to the water for winter and summer and drop it in when you want. you are not held prisoner.
boats under 15-20 k have not lost that much value as surprisingly enough people have the cash.
also buy the boat that is popular in your area. for example sea ray and carver in il. on lake michigan that's all you see and unless someone did something stupid you cant always steal them.
lots of luck