The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat/Off-Topic (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/chit-chat-off-topic/)
-   -   The Diablo goes to sleep this weekend (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/chit-chat-off-topic/372-diablo-goes-sleep-weekend.html)

180diablo 09-26-2007 12:41 PM

The Diablo goes to sleep this weekend

Well... I called up my marina last night to check on how their schedule looks for storage for the winter and basically their reply was .......... "as soon as you can" .... :eek_animated:

The weather has been so good lately I wanted to see about extending the season another week or two. However I'am under their control and when they say they want the boat stored by a certain time, they want it stored.

So this friday night my gf and I will make our way up to the cottage and saturday morning we will probably spend a few hours cleaning it up before storage and then make the trip to the north end of the lake to drop it off. :(

Any helpful tips on what to clean before winter storage?

The hull, sterndrive, engine will all be cleaned/maintained by the marina. I was thinking about giving the carpet a vacuum to remove dirt, giving the bow seats an application of Slimy Grimy (mould removal), wiping down the interior with a vinyl cleaner/protector. Also would like to Slimy Grimy the two side tarp windows to remove some spots (hopefully it doesnt distort).

I'm also thinking that since I neglecting waxing it during the summer, I should probably use the 3M Fibreglass Restore and Mequiars wax that I have to protect the upper hull from the cold.

Sound like a decent list of what to do before storage?

Z 202 09-26-2007 01:36 PM

You might want to think about putting in one or two of those moisture absorbers if your marina doesn't do it as a part of their winterization package.

The storage place I use puts a couple in each boat, and they are also very particular about making sure the boat is completely dry before it goes into storage.

ShabahZ280 09-26-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z 202 (Post 1719)
You might want to think about putting in one or two of those moisture absorbers if your marina doesn't do it as a part of their winterization package.

AMEN. They're like $5, and a great protective thing to do. I can show you pics of my mold infestation earlier this year. Trust me, you don't want that. :shakehead:

180diablo 09-26-2007 03:05 PM

Hmmmm ... im guessing this is what you are referring to then....

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...2&classNum=380

last year i know they had put some Bounce dryer sheets in and around the boat. Which i guess they thought would be about the same effect.

ShabahZ280 09-26-2007 03:14 PM

yep, that's them, or as they're commonly known in the non-marine world, "DampRid". You can get them virtually anywhere that sells housewares, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.

the bounce dryer sheets are to keep bugs away, since bugs don't like scents.

Z 202 09-26-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ250 (Post 1723)

I think they deter critters (mice) as well. We use them liberally when we close up our cottage for the winter.

boatman 09-26-2007 03:22 PM

Thanks for the tips. I store in a controlled environment but mold is definately an issue.

180diablo 09-26-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ250 (Post 1723)
yep, that's them, or as they're commonly known in the non-marine world, "DampRid". You can get them virtually anywhere that sells housewares, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.

that would explain why i had about 7 or so located around the boat.

I guess I will have to check around to see if I can find them then! Thanks!

mikeyt 09-28-2007 12:50 AM

I just took my Shabah out to my friendly (and now richer) marine dealer to be put to sleep for the winter. 'Tis a sad day around here.... :(

180diablo 09-28-2007 02:14 AM

Yeah I almost came down with a case of "Anal Glaucoma" for tomorrow....

.... I couldnt see my "arse" going in to work tomorrow .... ROFL ! :wink_thumbup:

I decided that I will show up for work and head north friday night and stick to my original plan for Saturday morning.