The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat/Off-Topic (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/chit-chat-off-topic/)
-   -   Bravo 3 impeller (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/chit-chat-off-topic/11352-bravo-3-impeller.html)

BoDog 02-22-2018 03:16 AM

Re: Bravo 3 impeller

It’s not too hard, just kind of tight in there. I replaced mine in about 45 minutes at the lake. Don’t forget to clean out the tube that crosses under the engine. Mine had a screen in it that caught all the rubber pieces when the impeller came apart. If you don’t get all that rubber out it will still overheat. I’m 6 foot two 260 pounds so it was kind of tight in there. But I got it done and saved a lot of money.

97 Z222 Shabah
7.4 Merc
Bravo III

GaryDoug 02-22-2018 03:25 AM

Good info Bo, but I think Hunter sold his boat. Might have a bigger Mariah now though.

BoDog 02-22-2018 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoDog (Post 64240)
It’s not too hard, just kind of tight in there. I replaced mine in about 45 minutes at the lake. Don’t forget to clean out the tube that crosses under the engine. Mine had a screen in it that caught all the rubber pieces when the impeller came apart. If you don’t get all that rubber out it will still overheat. I’m 6 foot two 260 pounds so it was kind of tight in there. But I got it done and saved a lot of money.

97 Z222 Shabah
7.4 Merc
Bravo III

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryDoug (Post 64241)
Good info Bo, but I think Hunter sold his boat. Might have a bigger Mariah now though.

:wink_thumbup:

Tlolesen 02-27-2018 01:25 AM

I have a 2001 Shabah 182 this is my first boat and I have only had it for one summer I would like to do a lot of the work on it myself. I have done a lot of work on cars but not boats. I believe I have a alpha 1 gen 2 in this post you say the impeller. Needs to be replaced every couple years in car terms is that the water pump and do I need to check it? Don't think the previous owner did much but the basics.

GaryDoug 02-27-2018 02:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They are all talking about the impeller in the seawater pump, which is separate from the drive in a Bravo 3. It is belt driven by the engine. An Alpha has the impeller in the drive unit just above the anti-cavitation plate. Both of those are different from the coolant circulating pump in the engine, which has no rubber impeller and is just like the one in a car engine.Since the Bravo 3 pump can be more easily removed and disassembled, it may make more sense to check it or replace it more often. The Alpha drive impeller takes a lot more work to remove. I doubt either really needs replacement in just a couple of years unless there is some special use that requires it. Generally either type impeller will usually fail by dropping off rubber blades one-at-a-time, so you have some warning that the engine temp is slowly rising above what is normal.

BoDog 02-27-2018 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tlolesen (Post 64260)
I have a 2001 Shabah 182 this is my first boat and I have only had it for one summer I would like to do a lot of the work on it myself. I have done a lot of work on cars but not boats. I believe I have a alpha 1 gen 2 in this post you say the impeller. Needs to be replaced every couple years in car terms is that the water pump and do I need to check it? Don't think the previous owner did much but the basics.

I’m sure there better people on here to ask but I’ll tell you what I have learned. They say it should be replaced every three years. The rubber gets hard and it comes apart. Then you have to get all the rubber pieces out of it or they will clog something up. Looks like yours is in the lower unit. I haven’t changed that type. Mine is up in the engine compartment. YouTube is your friend. :wink_thumbup:

Also, don’t start it without water ears or on the lake. Ask me know how I know. :mad:

Tlolesen 02-27-2018 09:53 AM

Thanks for the info, if the engine has a water pump what is the purpose of the impeller? Does it feed water up to the engine so you're not relying on the water pump to draw all the way from were the outdrive is under water. 🤔

GaryDoug 02-27-2018 02:45 PM

Yes, the pump in the engine is not self priming and would not lift the water up into the engine.