The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Boating 101 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/)
-   -   batteries are dead (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/5077-batteries-dead.html)

Bearhouse 12-02-2010 11:18 PM

batteries are dead

Any suggestions for keeping my boat batteries from going dead, I'm only use my boat every
three months because it's stored at my second home......

mikeyt 12-03-2010 01:49 AM

Re: batteries are dead

Solar panel charger? Doesn't need to be a big one, just enough to give her a little trickle...

Oregondunes 12-03-2010 04:51 AM

electrical battery tender. their like $35

ShabahZ280 12-03-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregondunes (Post 26926)
electrical battery tender. their like $35

or if you've got a harbor freight tools nearby, you can get a "battery maintainer" for about $9. not sure if I'd use it as a long term solution, but it gets the job done. I use them on my batteries during the winter. Turn it on every couple of days for a few hours to keep them charged.

Are you stored in the water, or on a trailer, and have power nearby? If so, I'd consider adding a battery charger/maintainer. If you're stored in the water, or not near a power source, I'd look into mikeyT's idea of the solar charger!

Hudson River Steve 12-04-2010 08:44 PM

Be careful of solar chargers. The inexpensive ones have a tendancy to overcharge batteries , which kills them just as quick as over discharging them. If you use a solar charger, ensure it has a quality Voltage/Current controller.

If you are close to a power source try using a battery tender. It wil keep the battery topped off without over charging.

If you are not close to a power source then the best bet is to disconnect the battery from all loads and keep the top of the battery clean to prevent self discharge. Unless of course the boat is in the water, then you need to disconnect all loads except the bildge pump.

al levy 12-08-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson River Steve (Post 26928)
Be careful of solar chargers. The inexpensive ones have a tendancy to overcharge batteries , which kills them just as quick as over discharging them. If you use a solar charger, ensure it has a quality Voltage/Current controller.

If you are close to a power source try using a battery tender. It wil keep the battery topped off without over charging.

If you are not close to a power source then the best bet is to disconnect the battery from all loads and keep the top of the battery clean to prevent self discharge. Unless of course the boat is in the water, then you need to disconnect all loads except the bildge pump.

first things first why are they goihg dead? they shouldnt be. is the boat in the water? is the bil
ge pump going on? If you turn the battery switch off I would check what is drawing on them at that time. if the batteries are constantly going to be charged you will shorten there life but once again you should find out why they are going dead first