The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Boating 101 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/)
-   -   This is why i dont like tilt trailers. (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/4221-why-i-dont-like-tilt-trailers.html)

pimpadelic 06-07-2010 07:10 PM

This is why i dont like tilt trailers.

1 Attachment(s)
i saw this happen this weekend. i was waiting to put my boat on my trailer when this happened. the winch broke and when it did the boat started to slide back and then it tilted. i wil nver have a trailer with rollers. $80 part caused this to happen.

Dredd 06-07-2010 07:38 PM

Re: This is why i dont like tilt trailers.

Wow, I've wondered about that before.
Some trailers have a safety chain attached to the winch post, which would also have prevented this. I think I'll be adding one when my trailer needs paint.

spinks99 06-08-2010 03:12 AM

I'm not sure why anyone would have a roller trailer.

This happens all the time. We've all seen boats sitting in the parking lot at boat launches due to rolling off the trailer. And we've all seen people spend 45 minutes loading their boat because they can't get it straight on a roller trailer. If you have a roller trailer get as far away from it as you can.

ShabahZ280 06-10-2010 04:55 PM

Wow.... That hurts to look at.... I'll stick with my bunk trailer, and that's exactly why i always attach the safety chain before i pull her out of the water!

Wakeboarder5272 06-10-2010 05:01 PM

That sucks. A roller trailer came with my boat from the dealer and I haven't had any problems with it. But...I always use the safety chain on the winch tower and I have heavy duty ratchet straps connecting each side of the stern to the trailer to keep this from happening.

Z 202 06-12-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ250 (Post 22790)
Wow.... That hurts to look at.... I'll stick with my bunk trailer, and that's exactly why i always attach the safety chain before i pull her out of the water!

^ This should be in boating 101.

I have a bunk trailer but I had 1 occasion where the winch was not locked :shakehead: when I went to pull up the ramp. Thankfully the safety chain was on.

SEMIJim 06-13-2010 02:26 AM

Hmmm... Our trailer has bunks and now I'm glad it does. I think I'm going to have to add "safety chain for the trailer" to the List Of Things To Do.

Jim

coolfish 07-24-2010 12:09 AM

Did the vary same thing the first time I launched my '94 Barchetta. Felt like a total tool.
Shawn

SuperdaveTX 07-24-2010 09:36 PM

Wow... Makes me think I should replace the strap and hook on my wench. Jeez.

My launch is pretty steep and my strap is looking a weathered...and I have no safety chain.

Dave

Z 202 07-25-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperdaveTX (Post 24244)
Wow... Makes me think I should replace the strap and hook on my wench. Jeez.

My launch is pretty steep and my strap is looking a weathered...and I have no safety chain.

Dave

Get one. It's the cheapest insurance for your boat that money can buy.