The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Boating 101 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/)
-   -   New canvas (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/380-new-canvas.html)

Paul Z 09-28-2007 09:34 PM

New canvas

Anybody out there have an idea how much a new, quality boat cover should cost?
I have an 18-1/2' ft Mariah Barchetta open bow. One piece cover. Thanks, Paul Z

ShabahZ280 09-28-2007 10:06 PM

You're looking for a one piece full boat cover?

I bought a "semi-custom" cover through iboats.com a few years ago for storage only. I did some quick researching and depending on the year and model number of your boat (i just used a 95 182 Barchetta as an example), prices range anywhere from $179 - $587.

You might want to call your local canvas shops and see about having a custom one made, that way it's guaranteed to fit perfect. But if you're just looking for a cheap cover for the winter, there's many retailers online, Iboats.com seemed to be the cheapest when I was looking.

180diablo 10-01-2007 03:31 PM

Hey Paul,

I have the same size of boat you do, bowrider as well and I was going to find out how much a custom bow to stern tarp would be for my boat. Not sure if a custom tarp is really needed though or if I would be better ordering one from West Marine kind of thing. I would be looking for one similar to the blue tarped boat beside mine.

If I don't end up getting one, then I would be doing exactly what the boater with the orange tarp did with his boat...lol.

This is where my boat is stored for the winter. I snapped this photo in May of this year.

http://inlinethumb09.webshots.com/20...600x600Q85.jpg

boatman 10-01-2007 07:12 PM

I just ordered a custom cover like the tan one next to the boat with orange tarp. The cockpit cover was $530 and the bow cover was $255.
I had purchased a Stearns, full cover, off the shelf for ~$100 - like the blue on one the first boat. The tarp sagged and layed on the seats, when I took it off the blue dye had bled onto the vinyl, and on the boat rub rail. Still can't get it off. Beware of cheaper covers.

WetWilly 10-02-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman (Post 1787)
I just ordered a custom cover like the tan one next to the boat with orange tarp. The cockpit cover was $530 and the bow cover was $255.
I had purchased a Stearns, full cover, off the shelf for ~$100 - like the blue on one the first boat. The tarp sagged and layed on the seats, when I took it off the blue dye had bled onto the vinyl, and on the boat rub rail. Still can't get it off. Beware of cheaper covers.

Hi boatman,

Bought a full cover from Boaters World only to have the same thing happen with the color coming off... Contacted the manufacture and what a surprise it was when I told them about the color transfer.... they got really quite and then acknowledged and apologized for the problem.

Their solution was to send me a product called "Spray Nine" multi-purpose cleaner. Works pretty good but I found a Mr. Clean Eraser works on all the surfaces too, just use a lot of water and very very light pressure on the upholstery and check frequently to make sure your not removing too much!

Good Luck,
WetWilly

boatman 10-03-2007 07:48 PM

Hi Wetwilly,
Thanks for the response. Sorry to hear you had the same problem. I hope others take note. I should have contacted the manufacturer, but I wasn't sure how to get ahold of them. I tried several cleaners, some pretty coarse. The spots did lighten a bit but I can still see them. I plan on trying the Erasers when I get the boat back from winterization. Wish I would have held off on that - I cannot believe the beautiful weather we are having here.

180diablo 10-03-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman (Post 1787)

ACK !!!!! Hmmmm thanks for giving me the heads up.

I would like to have one like the brown one beside me, however I dont have snaps at the lower windshield area to begin with. Which is why I suggested a full cover. But ... if a cheapo cover is going to stain vinyl ... screw that!

boatman 10-04-2007 05:19 PM

The snaps at the base of the windshield are clips which fit into the windshield frame track and can be placed at the top of the windshield or at the base. I prefer the base to add protection from the sun. The place I order my canvas was willing to add new clips or install screw snaps at the base of the windshield at no extra charge. Good Luck

180diablo 10-04-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman (Post 1855)
The snaps at the base of the windshield are clips which fit into the windshield frame track and can be placed at the top of the windshield or at the base. I prefer the base to add protection from the sun. The place I order my canvas was willing to add new clips or install screw snaps at the base of the windshield at no extra charge. Good Luck

Mine are all snaps that are along the upper part of the windshield frame.

I would like to see a zoomed in photo of the lower windshield clips/snaps.

boatman 10-05-2007 04:39 PM

The boat is at the shop getting fitted. When I get her back I will take some pictures.