The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Boating 101 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/)
-   -   Anchor (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/3508-anchor.html)

andyc 11-18-2009 07:12 PM

Anchor

Hi does anyone know the weight of anchor I need for my 2004 sx18. I took my dad fishing in the summer,something I dont do and he does rather bad:shakehead: Anyway a few times I stopped we drifted about and once we grounded:(,so he tol me I have to buy an anchor for next year.I was thinking about a folding anchor but dont know which weight to get

Thanks in advance
Andyc(in a very wet Scotland)

depman160 11-19-2009 07:01 PM

Re: Anchor

Check out the link to this anchor.....

Overton'sŪ > #8 Fluke-Style Anchor Kit - Mooring & Dock > Anchors : Boat Mooring Equipment, Boat Dock Supplies, Parts, Docking Accessories

I use it on my 20-foot Mariah in a gravel bottom river and it holds tight every time!

Not sure of the exact weight of the anchor but I believe its around 8 pounds and comes with the shackle and line.

We anchor frequently and many times have anchored with a 20-foot pontoon rafted next to us and it has the power to easily hold both boats.

Hope it helps,
Patrick

blockp 11-19-2009 09:28 PM

All depends on the type of bottom you're trying to hook into. Near my house, most of the bottoms are sand or gravel and the fluke style works very well for my 20'er. I don't think it can be more than 2 or 3 lbs at the most. It's the shape of it that makes it dig in.

At my cabin, everything is rock. I use about a 20lb version of this and it does quite nicely. The fluke style doesn't stand a chance up there because it can't dig in to the bottom. And if it does happen to dig in, I might as well cut the line on it because I won't be able to get it out of the rocks.

depman160 11-20-2009 01:34 AM

actually, our river has rocks just like yours and the fluke style seems to work ok. randomly you get a rock stuck in the anchor, but usually you can pop it out easily.

Any type of anchor that digs in should work....except the mushroom style, unless you have still water and no current.

dudders 11-20-2009 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use a 3 lb anchor just like this. Never had a problem with it holding, even in a strong current. I have about 6 to 10 feet of chain and a heap of rope.

Make sure your chain is good heavy duty quality.

andyc 11-21-2009 12:49 PM

Hi Guys, everyone seems to be pointing towards the Fluke type of anchor. The Loch I use has varying bottoms between sand/gravel and rock but mostly sand/gravel.I think the Fluke is the chap to buy.

Dudders we both have SX18's does the 3lb one you have fit okay into the compartment at the front.
Andyc

Z 202 11-21-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blockp (Post 19279)
All depends on the type of bottom you're trying to hook into. Near my house, most of the bottoms are sand or gravel and the fluke style works very well for my 20'er. I don't think it can be more than 2 or 3 lbs at the most. It's the shape of it that makes it dig in.

At my cabin, everything is rock. I use about a 20lb version of this and it does quite nicely. The fluke style doesn't stand a chance up there because it can't dig in to the bottom. And if it does happen to dig in, I might as well cut the line on it because I won't be able to get it out of the rocks.

Yes, the style to choose is all dependent on the underwater terrain. It's all rock where I boat, and I carry a 20lb marine anchor. Even then, there's been more than a few times I've had to use a lot of reverse to bring it up. ;)

dudders 11-22-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyc (Post 19308)
Dudders we both have SX18's does the 3lb one you have fit okay into the compartment at the front.
Andyc

Yes it fits in "piece of cake". With just a little room to spare. You get the hang of putting it in and out (or at least, your 1st mate should).