The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Boating 101 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/)
-   -   Engine oil removel (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/3462-engine-oil-removel.html)

Douglas Alderman 10-29-2009 08:26 PM

Engine oil removel

When removing engine oil through the dip stick tube does the oil have to be hot to flow better or letting it cool first? Oil weight 25w40. I have always been told to warm up engine first.But,that wouldn't make sense for oil would become thicker. :confused::confused:

MariahMan 10-29-2009 08:47 PM

Re: Engine oil removel

Warming up the engine and oil (not as high as operating temp) will certainly make the oil more viscous and easier to remove/drain. Whenever i change oil in my vehicles, i always let the engine warm up to about 130 degrees F or so, shut it off, and let the oil drain. Makes the job go quicker and get as much of the old crap out as possible.

Douglas Alderman 10-29-2009 09:39 PM

Taking out engine drain plug when oil is hot in vehicals goes faster but taking oil out through dip stick 1/4 inch sucking tube takes longer.

MariahMan 10-29-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Alderman (Post 19040)
taking oil out through dip stick 1/4 inch sucking tube takes longer.

How so? Same principles still apply, trying to get a fluid through a small orifice. Are we both in agreement that the oil is more viscous when warm? Warm oil vs cold oil though the dipstick tube, i'd still say the warm oil would be quicker. If so, think of a milkshake. When you first start drinking it, it's a PITA to suck the thick ice cream through the straw. Once it begins melting and softens, much easier.

Douglas Alderman 10-29-2009 10:04 PM

Good example of cold oil. Just warming up the engine a little shouldn't bring the oil even close to 40w for sucing through tube.

Tom 10-30-2009 07:36 PM

The oil should definitely be hot. I understand the viscosity issue, but if you've done this numerous times(like I have) by using the old pump can you will definitely know the difference. When the oil is cold it will not even go through the thin hose. See one of my other posts where I took a flexible pan and drilled a hole in the side and put a tube through the hole, caulked it and ran it out through the drain plug hole into a gallon jug. Drained in no time with hot oil. I had taken some pix, but unfortunately the camera was in movie mode for a few and wouldn't post.

64*thunderbolt 10-31-2009 09:27 PM

TOM, I THOUGH ABOUT DOING THE SAME THING, USING A PLASTIC GALLON JUG, CUTTING THE SIDE OUT AND FITTING A APPROX 1/2 '' DIA. HOSE TO IT AND RUNNING IT OUT THE DRAIN HOLE IN THE TRANSOM DOWN TO A JUG ON THE FLOOR. THIS WOULD GET A LOT MORE OF THE OLD OIL OUT THAN PUMPING IT OUT THROUGH THE DIP STICK TUBE. AND OFCORSE WITH A WARM ENGINE !:wink_thumbup:

Douglas Alderman 11-06-2009 01:01 AM

Found an easier way to drain the old engine oil and filter. I place a Force Flex garbage bag wraped around oil pan drawing the straps from the bag tight .Then slicing a hole with razor knife big anough for a socket wrench and hand to fit through to reach drain plug at the top of bag.After oil drains in bag I took oil filter off and put it in the hole used to take off plug. Tied straps together and pull bag out from bottom of engine.Cut hole in corner of bag to remove oil and retrieve drain plug. No mess at all to clean up in boat. :wink_thumbup:

WetWilly 11-06-2009 08:31 AM

Now that's a great idea! Just make sure the oil's not too hot :D.

Thanks Douglas :wink_thumbup:

Tom 11-06-2009 02:23 PM

I like it, but the big question is whether you were able to use duct tape to keep the bag attached to the oil pan-my kind of fix!!! Duct tape ala Red Green!