The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Boating 101 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/)
-   -   Rafting (not white water) (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/209-rafting-not-white-water.html)

180diablo 08-13-2007 05:42 PM

Rafting (not white water)

Just wondering how a typical "rafting" setup is done.

Does one boater anchor and start things off, then everyone ties off to a boat, then the next etc etc? Would you still have to properly setup your own anchor scope from your boat to hold yourself in place? What about larger boats wanting to anchor/raft off smaller boats to complete the "chain"?

I have never seen a large one done before, but was just curious how its done.

indykoch 08-13-2007 06:13 PM

Yep... one starts, then another, then another...

I've seen it too many times. The first 2 or 3 tie up together, and they'll put an anchor in. Then a few more boats tie up, thinking there must be plenty of anchors, so they don't bother. Eventually, the few that were smart enough to anchor can't hold everyone, and it breaks loose. Usually, they'll notice and a few more boats will drop anchor. Basically, the smart ones anchor no matter what, the lazy ones don't (again, no matter what).

The funny thing to watch is - if they break loose from the anchors, ONE boat is started, and tries pulling the WHOLE chain of boats back to the original spot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!! By the time the moving boat affects the last ones on each end, their ropes are stretched beyond hope, and make more of a horseshoe shape out of all of them.

The other funny thing is watching the guy in the middle of 30+ boats decide it's time to leave. The boats on each side must throw ropes to each other, untie the guy leaving, then pull each other towards each other 'til they can tie up. It's almost a coordinated, smooth procedure that I still find myself waiting for someone to fall in, not be able to close the gap, something...

Straad 08-14-2007 02:09 PM

we just did this saturday, nothing big just 7 of us
but like you said one more just kept showing up

the annoying part is walking from a 24' pontoon across a 17' low openbow back to another high pontoon, the drop can be feet somtimes

180diablo 08-14-2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indykoch (Post 636)
Yep... one starts, then another, then another...

I've seen it too many times. The first 2 or 3 tie up together, and they'll put an anchor in. Then a few more boats tie up, thinking there must be plenty of anchors, so they don't bother. Eventually, the few that were smart enough to anchor can't hold everyone, and it breaks loose. Usually, they'll notice and a few more boats will drop anchor. Basically, the smart ones anchor no matter what, the lazy ones don't (again, no matter what).

Yeah I guess its something I would just have to try out for myself one day. But it would have to be with a buncha people that know I would be out there. I wouldnt want to just show up at someones raft and raft off them.. lol. I guess the larger the raft the easier it is for "strangers" to just show up.

180diablo 08-14-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straad (Post 657)
we just did this saturday, nothing big just 7 of us
but like you said one more just kept showing up

the annoying part is walking from a 24' pontoon across a 17' low openbow back to another high pontoon, the drop can be feet somtimes

Hmm, so why would you walk over someone else's boat? I guess if u know someone on the other side of the raft and wanted to get there.

Straad 08-14-2007 05:38 PM

we were all back and forth between a couple main boats
coolers, people, etc...
whats the fun in tieing up and then just sitting in your same boat chair
...mind you we were tied from 3-8pm hanging out partying

ShabahZ280 08-14-2007 06:20 PM

That's the way to go. And even better if you've got a houseboat in your group. It usually serves as the "Group Meeting Point" Plus it has much more room to stretch out and enjoy cold beverages. :)