The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Boating 101 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/)
-   -   Launching and retrieving (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/1241-launching-retrieving.html)

vkrishan 06-05-2008 08:09 PM

hmm... good point... I see how the shear force could effect it... Will keep that in mind...

ShabahZ280 06-05-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpfirrman (Post 7599)
I would be very careful when putting the RPM over 1200 with the outdrive all the way up. This can cause some serious damage to your gimbal ring I believe.

Not to mention the added stress you'll be adding to the u-joints! :eek_animated:

indykoch 06-05-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpfirrman (Post 7599)
I would be very careful when putting the RPM over 1200 with the outdrive all the way up. This can cause some serious damage to your gimbal ring I believe.

I think it's worse on the U joints than the bearing... but wouldn't want to damage either.

I admit I power load - but very little. It's really bad on the ramp and causes nasty erosion. Some boaters will get quite angry if they see you doing it, so be careful. I see it as a slight necessity, otherwise there's too much chance of getting the boat on crooked or causing damage.

moondance100 06-06-2008 12:09 AM

When I unload, I back in till its light on the bunks, but not enough to float off, then fire up and back her off. (I have help in the truck)

When I load it, I back in the trailer a little deeper (usually just burying the fenders) then I drive it right up to the roller at the end. Been doing it that way for 8 years, the only time I had any trouble was in one nastya** storm!

z275st 06-06-2008 01:15 AM

indykoch is right, some shallow ramps don’t allow power loading due to erosion. Fortunately for me all the ramps I use are concrete and deep. If I have to be deep enough to crank it on, the back usually floats and sits crooked and I have to pull in and out a couple of times to get it on straight! :(

Z275 06-09-2008 01:10 PM

I wanted to point out one thing. I know in Ohio if you caught caught releasing your bow hook before the boat is in the water and then backing in to slide it off you will get ticketed. I first heard about it when some people got seriously injured when their boat slid off the trailer as the guy was backing it down the ramp. In general that is a very dangerous practice.

KSP181 06-14-2008 02:20 AM

My first mate can back the boat off the trailer and put it back on with no problem. She just refuses to back the trailer. Oh well, you can't have it all.

dcraw 07-19-2008 06:10 PM

loading/unloading

Early on in our boating life, I learned that it would be better for me to back down, so I taught the first mate to back off/load the trailer. Everywhere we go has concrete ramps and steep enough to lower the lower unit most of the way. With our 252, I now back far enough down to lower unit into water so wife can start the motor, I unhook the cable and back and brake the boat off the trailer. This seems to work good. When loading I pretty much do what Moondance does. A little power loading the last 2-4 inches at 1/4 trim up to keep the strain off the cable. On my boat, the previous owner backed too far in and rammed the nose below the rubber stop on the trailer. Not a good idea.

In our area, people come out to the boat ramp on Saturdays and Sundays just to watch to action. I would guess many a divorce started at the boat ramp. We once saw a lady standing on top of her submerged truck holding her husband's golf clubs over her head. Don't know where her priorities were!:rolling_laugh:

djmccormick 07-26-2008 01:35 PM

First Mate Launch

My First Mate does an awesome job.
We unhook the bow and stern straps, put out the bumbers, I line it up, jump in the boat, she backs it in and off we go.

Her only issue is backing up the trailer, once its in position we have a Green Light to go.

On Retrival, I dock the boat, line up the trailer in the water, she backs it in while I bring the boat around. Using very low throttle speed, we bring it to the point where very little cranking is need, then she pulls it out to the staging area to re attach the starps and pull the plug.

She doesn't care for driving the boat, but without her it wouldn't be much fun.

Hat's Off to My First Mate......:wink_thumbup:
BTW: She's a good cook also

All In 07-26-2008 04:44 PM

with me it sounds a little different. I don't want my mate to have to walk up a huge hill to the truck so I get that part. I back the truck down while she drives around in the boat a bit. When I finally get the trailer in the water she just drives the boat right on the trailer I hook it up and off we go to secure area. If she does not get it on the first try I am amazed. She does not like to drive out on the lake but she is a great driver. You are right, It would not be much fun without her. Just like the song says " put a girl in it":rolling_laugh::yes_grin: